Friday, March 04, 2005

Laughing

Every day, I have a good laugh. Sometimes the laughter is joyful, other days I laugh out of desperation. Lately, I must admit, there has been some maniacal laughter coming from my room!

My life here is full of funny challenges. Take, for instance, my job. I am a teacher here on the Ranch. I work one on one with 4th and 6th graders who are having difficulties in school. Some of my kids probably have learning disabilities, others just need more time to grasp a concept, some have behavioral issues. I work with 10 students, meeting with them 3 times a week individually. The subjects I teach are Spanish (!) and Math. Those of you who know me, know how I am lacking in math skills, and all of you can figure out the hilarity (irony?) of me teaching Spanish in my own bad Spanish. I have no choice but to laugh. Most of the time, my kids are teaching me more about Math and Spanish than I am teaching them.

My days are long, my job is difficult. There are moments I want to give up and go home, moments I feel unappreciated, days I fail at everything. There are times when my kids are mean to me and each other, times with the kitchen is out of food and I am hungry, days when my Spanish just doesn´t seem to be working, days when there´s no electricity or water, moments in which I am invisible.

As I am ready to get out my luggage, something always stops me. A kid running up to me, grabbing my hand, and walking with me without caring where I am going. Or an impossibly faraway voice screaming, "¡Amelia! ¡Hola!". Or a letter in my mailbox from one of you. These things keep my clothes upacked and my heart laughing.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans WILL succeed"
Prov. 16:3
this is my new goal, it's posted to my computer as a reminder b/c that is where I spend most of my time.

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Usted est

4:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should see the movie, The Aviator, as it is a good movie about one man's (Howard Hughs) perseverance in the face of great public pressure and tremendous inward struggle. Truth, passion, knowledge, and perseverence guided this man to do great things in the face of circumstances. It is VERY inspirational (and Leonardo DiCaprio plays the lead role). ;)

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Usted está viviendo una vida loca; Estoy viviendo una vida loca.

Ich bin ein Berliner!

--Raj

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Click here to support Amelia's volunteer work